December 10, 2014

How to Choose a Dentist

Find a dentist that’s right for you.

Use these tips to find a dentist that’s right for you.

With something as important as choosing a dentist, it’s vital you make a well-informed choice. Glowing recommendations from friends and family are certainly a big help if you’re searching for any type of service provider. First, you need to understand how to choose a dentist.

First, there are some purely practical considerations. Things like the dentist’s location. Will it be convenient for you to visit them whether you’re coming from home or from work? Location may not be an option, but if it is, and if you will need frequent care, it may make a difference.

If you need to schedule an appointment on the weekend or in the evening, will the dentist be available? Are the waiting room, office space, furnishings and equipment clean and well maintained? The answers to these types of questions can help narrow your final selection, especially if you have a large number of options.

Preventive Oral Health

Beyond these types of practical considerations, there are number of other questions you can ask that will help you make the best choice.

Don’t think of the dentist simply as someone who can restore oral health.

At its most basic, oral health comes down to prevention and restoration. Don’t think of the dentist simply as someone who can restore oral health. Instead, see your dentist as someone who can help you understand and practice good oral health prevention strategies.

A caring dentist will take the time to explain the preventive techniques needed to keep you in the best oral health. In addition, the dentist should draw your attention to any problem areas that may be developing and provide specific instructions – and, if needed, a plan – for how to deal with the areas in question.

Emergency Dental Services

While it’s very important, prevention is only one part of good oral care. What will happen, though, if you have a dental emergency? Will the dentist see you right away if you break a tooth? What if the dentist is out of the office or on vacation?

Many dentists do make special arrangements…

Many dentists do make special arrangements, so if they’re unavailable when emergencies happen, their patients will still receive the timely care they need. That’s not always the case though. Be sure you understand a prospective dentist’s emergency procedures before you really need them.

Treatment Fees and Payment Plans

Finally, before you choose a dentist, you’ll want to find out whether specific information about treatment fees and the dentist’s payment plan is provided to patients before treatment is scheduled.

If you have dental insurance, you may need to determine whether the dentist participates in your plan. With certain types of dental insurance, pretreatment authorization for services may be required. Even if you don’t have insurance, most dentists will be happy to discuss the fees for needed services and the ways you can plan to pay.

You should never put off needed dental treatment. However, be sure to take the time you need to find the dentist that’s right for you.

Is there anything you would add to this list? Let us know in a comment below!

To learn more about dental insurance plans and dental terminology, visit the Resources section.

Share a smile with us! Follow us on Twitterlike us on Facebook, or add us to Google+.

Related Posts

52 comments on “How to Choose a Dentist”

• Emily Smith says:

This was just the information I needed about finding a dentist. I just moved to a different city and I have been looking for a while now. It is almost time for my 6 month check up appointment. The tip about finding what places are covered by my insurance seems like a good tip. I will have to try that.
    Emily Smith | http://www.meadowridgedental.ca

• Casey Jones says:

Thanks for the advice on selecting a dentist. I liked that you mentioned finding one that cares and can help teach you proper oral care techniques. Maybe I will call my friends and family and see if they have any great dentists they recommend.

• DentalInsurance.com says:

A recommendation from family and friends is a great way to find a dentist. Thanks for stopping by the blog Casey!

• Kyle Winters says:

I do like that you bring up the importance of emergency dental services in the article. After all, it is very easy to find a good dentist who gives you all of the normal treatment options that you should get. However, it is just as important to find a dentist that offers emergency services should something happen during non-regular hours.

• I agree that a good dentist also practices preventative oral health. It would seem important to find a dentist that will not only take care of your teeth when they get a problem but who will teach you how the prevent these problems. I’m looking for a new dental clinic so I’ll have to find someone who practices preventive health as well.

• A dentist that will take the time to explain the preventative techniques needed to keep you in the best oral health is a great choice. Making sure you know what is happening with your mouth would be important to prevent problems. Meeting with different dentists would probably help you be able to find one that you will be comfortable with.

• John Mahoney says:

I liked when you talked about choosing a dentist that participates with your insurance. We just moved to a new town and want to make sure we continue our son’s dental treatment. As I see it, taking the time to consult with several companies and read online reviews can guide you in the right direction and find the best dental care for you.

• I didn’t realize how important it is to find out if a dentist offers payment plans to ensure you can afford his/her service. My wife and I just moved to a new town. Hopefully, we can use this info to prevent plaque buildup. Thanks!

• Alex Dean says:

My husband and I just moved to a new state, and are in need help in how to choose the right dentist for us. It’s good to know that one thing we need to do is talk to different ones to discuss their fees and payment plans, that way we will know if they are someone we can work with. For us it will be great to find the right one for us, and also be able to afford it as well.

• Your suggestion to use a dentist for preventative measures is a great idea. I feel like this would not only save your oral health, but it could save you money. I’m sure restorative measures cost a lot more than preventative ones.

• John Billows says:

My family and I just moved into a new area and need to find a dentist close to us. I like your advice to find a dentist that offers plans for dental emergencies. Just as you point out you never know when an emergency might happen to you our your family.

• My family and I recently moved to a new area. We are looking for a general dentist that will be able to take care of our dental health. Like you said, we will want to find out whether specific information about treatment fees and payment plans is provided before the treatment is scheduled. Thanks for sharing!

• I like that you mentioned finding a dentist that will help you prevent oral problems. This is key to maintaining health and saving on repairs. We are looking for a dentist right now that has our best interests in mind.

• It’s great to know how to find a good dentist. We just moved, and my whole family is due for an appointment pretty soon. I want to find a good dentist to take them to, as soon as possible. I’ll love it if I can find someone who helps my kids prevent cavities, instead of just fixing them.

• Ivy Baker says:

I just recently moved to a new area and I need to find a new dentist. So, I liked that you talked about how it would be smart for me to consider practical things like location. Personally, I wouldn’t want to drive more than a half hour away from my home to get to my dentist office.

• I agree, a good dentist is one that takes preventative measures to keep your mouth safe from disease. A dentist’s job should not only be to take care of your mouth only after you’ve gotten a cavity or gingivitis. As the article points out, a good dentist will take time to go over several techniques you can do to keep your oral hygiene in check.

• It is smart to think about location when picking out a dentist for your family. In addition to practical considerations like this, the questions you suggested asking seem like a good way to pick the best one. I’m sure there are a few dentists within a reasonable driving distance from our house, but choosing one who will make special arrangements for a dental emergency could be really helpful when my son starts playing lacrosse in the fall.

• I liked that you had mentioned that it can be important to find out what the dentist does in the situation where there is a dental emergency to see if they have special procedures that they can have done. My family and I have recently moved into a new area and because of this we no longer have a primary dentist. Once we start looking, we’ll be making sure that the dentist will be available for any possible emergencies.

• Ashley Turns says:

Thanks for mentioning that a great dentist will be sure to explain the things you can do to prevent bad oral health. My husband and I are looking for a new general dentistry office for us and our kids to use. Since I do have two kids, it is important that the general dentistry office we use can explain to them the oral health is important and the best ways to keep it looking great.

• Derek Dewitt says:

My wife and I just moved to a new town and are looking for a new dentistry to get set up with but we aren’t sure where to start. I like that you suggest finding a place that has emergency services available. Knowing we can come in if there is an accident would help put my mind at ease. Thanks for sharing!

• I like that you mentioned to find a dentist that offers emergency services. It makes sense that you would want somebody who could treat you at any time if something bad happened. I am looking for a dentist in my new area, and I want to make sure I choose the best. I want to be prepared if we have a dental emergency, so this is something I will definitely ask about.

• Thanks for your comment about how you should get a dentist who you can schedule times with that is convenient for you. I like how you said that it should be close to you if you will need to visit them kind of often. My mother needs some teeth implants, so I am trying to help her look for a nearby dentist who is experienced in this field of work.

• Kayla says:

Thanks for this info. My sister’s teeth need to be whitened. She’s now looking up some dentists to assist her.

• Marcus says:

I agree with you in that it is important to consider a dentist that can provide emergency services when you need them. We are moving to a new house and want to make sure we find a good professional who can help us care for our teeth properly. It is important to remember that taking the time to do some research and to read online reviews can help you find the best dentist in your area.

• My family and I just moved into a new home in a new area that we are unfamiliar with and need a new dentist. I like that you mentioned asking about emergency situations and how they will be handled when they come. This is something we really need to ask about because our kids are pretty reckless and one has already knocked out one tooth.

• It’s also helpful to choose a dentist that makes it easy for you to schedule an appointment with them. We use a service that let’s patients pick an appointment with us that they can find on our website, Google listing, and even our Facebook page.

And as always referrals from friends and family members are the best. It’s the oldest technique, but if you get a great recommendation, it tends to work out well. Thanks for the article.

• I agree that payment plans are important to consider when choosing a dentist. This would be especially important if you are doing something that is not covered by your insurance. My sister needs a dental implant, so she’ll have to consider payment plans.

• I agree that a good dentist will take time to explain preventative techniques to you. It would be smart to find someone who will not only take care of your teeth when you visit them but also ensure that you are caring for your teeth every day of the year. If I were looking for a new dentist, I would also want to make sure that they are covered by my insurance before I would choose them.

• Nigel Farage says:

When I first moved to Granville, I decided I was going to check out some reviews online to try and find my dentist. Luckily I found one pretty quickly with AMAZING reviews and after my first appointment at their Granville dental office, I must say I agree with the reviews and even left my own!

• Jordan Miner says:

My wife has been looking for a new dentist for our family. I’m glad you talked about how you want to consider the practical things like a dentist’s location. I’m going to have to look for a good dentist and see what our options would be!

• Thanks so much for your tip to find a dentist that has different types of payment plan options for you. I also like how you said that they should be able to work with your insurance. My husband and I just moved, and we are looking for dentists that can work with your budget because my husband needs some dental crowns.

• Jenna Hunter says:

I like your point that having a regular dentist and using preventative measures is wise but that you might have an emergency that your regular dentist can’t fix right away. My two sons are always roughhousing and could chip a tooth or knock out a filling. They are too crazy so I never know what could happen! I think that finding an emergency dentist might be a good solution to put my mind at ease.

• My wife and I are going to be moving in the next month or so, and we’ll need a good dentist. I appreciate how you pointed out that it would be important to consider location when choosing a dentist. I feel like this would be especially important if we have a lot of dental health issues that would require frequent visits.

• Jordan Miner says:

My daughter is going to need some help from an oral surgery dentist to get her wisdom teeth out. I’m glad you talked about how you should pick an oral surgery office that has a convenient location. I’m going to have to look for a few good oral surgery options and see what would be best for us!

• Gary Puntman says:

I agree that dental health comes down to prevention and restoration, like you said. You want to find a dentist who doesn’t just focus on one or the other, but who will use both to help you have the healthiest teeth. You want to make sure they do a good job at your checkups and cleanings, but will also provide you with good restoration when needed as well.

• Like Earnest, I’ll be moving soon too, so I’ll need to find a great dentist. I’ll make sure that I find one close by, so I am more likely to go to the dentist. Thanks for the great tips on how to choose a dentist!

• I really appreciate your tip to look for a dentist that can work on all types of dental services such as restoration and preventative health. It’s nice that you said that they should also be located near you. My husband and I are looking for dentists to give my father dental implants in our area; thanks for the suggestions.

• You make a great point that you should make sure that the dentist you choose offers emergency dental services. This will definitely give me peace of mind for the future if one of my family members gets injured and needs care right away. I recently moved to a new area and I am looking for a quality dentist for my family, so I will make sure to ask about their treatment fees and payment plans!

• Jenna Hunter says:

I like what you said about seeing a dentist as someone who can help you understand and practice good oral health prevention strategies. My husband thinks that he should only go to the dentist when something is already wrong. I need to convince him that it is better to get regular checks and cleanings to prevent problems instead. Thanks for all your information on reasons to go to a dentist and how to choose them.

• Ellie Davis says:

Thank you for pointing out that at its basic oral health comes down to prevention and restoration. My husband is needing to find a new dentist. I’ll have to do some research and find one in our area that he will love working with.

• Sanjay arora says:

A friendly and comfortable dental clinic is another thing that you need to check when choosing a Dentist for you and your family. The best dental clinic always gives top-priority to patients comfort, offering assistance and after-care service as required. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

• My wife and I just moved into a new home, and we’ll need a good dentist. I like how you suggest taking the time to look at the dentist’s payment plans. I’ll be sure to keep this in mind before deciding on which dentist to start seeing.

• I like that you say to find out if the dentist office you are looking at provides emergency dental services. I recently moved to a new area and I am looking for a dentist and it would definitely give me peace of mind to know that they provide emergency services! Also, I think it is important that the dentist office has a friendly and welcoming environment and that they are easy to work with.

• Amanda Drew says:

Thanks for pointing out that the main goal of oral health is to prevent and restore things. No wonder most people are supposed to get their teeth cleaned every six months. You’d just need to find a good dentist who’d help you prevent any issues.

• My sister’s son is reaching an age when he’ll need to get his wisdom teeth out soon, but she isn’t sure where to start looking. Your article had some great tips for choosing a dentist, and I really liked your point to make sure you know the treatment fees and payment plan before you schedule a treatment. This way, you know you wont be facing hidden fees, and I’ll be sure to share this advice with my sister to help her choose the best dentist for her son’s wisdom teeth removal.

• Max Sayer says:

Recently my family has moved so I wanted to look up how to find a good dentist. I really appreciated how this article talked about before you choose a dentist, you’ll want to find out whether specific information about treatment fees and the dentist payment plan is provided. I think that this is really important so that I know beforehand what is expected.

• Joy Butler says:

I really appreciate you helping me learn more about finding dental services. We’ve just moved into this city and currently looking for a dentist for the entire family. A good of friend of mine has already given me some suggestion and reviewing the feedback for each.

• Millie Hue says:

It really helped when you said that the first thing to look at when choosing a dentist or clinic is its location. As you mentioned, it must be easy to access when you are from your home or work. I think that is true because emergency dental issues are inevitable. I have two kids, and my husband is a missionary. So the usual set up is that it’s only me and my children in the house. That is why I agree that the location must be considered because it will be only me who will be taking my child to the dentist if ever problems arise.

• I completely agree that you’ll want to find a dentist that is close to your home if you need frequent care, especially since some oral issues can be dangerous. I may be moving out next month, so I’ve been looking for a great dentist in my new area. These tips will help me a bunch, so thank you for sharing.

• I love how you said that oral health comes down to prevention and restoration. I am going to the dentist this week. I really appreciate the information on how to choose a dentist.

• Amy Winters says:

Thanks for pointing out the importance of understanding a potential dentist’s emergency procedures. I’ve been lucky enough to not have any dental emergencies in my life, but it’s a very good idea to make sure we’ll be taken care of if anything like that happens in the future. Thank you for the advice on choosing a dentist – I’m confident it will help me find the perfect dentist for my family.