The Cigna Group℠ is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, having originated in 1792. While they trace their roots back more than 200 years, they became the company you know today in 1982 with the merger of INA Corporation and Connecticut General Corporation.
Cigna Healthcare has three principal brands:
- The Cigna Group, an international health company with products and services under the Cigna Healthcare and Evernorth Health Services divisions or subsidiaries
- Cigna Healthcare, a health benefits provider
- Evernorth℠ Health Services, a provider of specialty pharmacy, care services, and benefits solutions
Part of Evernorth Health Services, is Express Scripts® Pharmacy, which has been delivering medications to people since 1987.
A Great Selection of Plans
Size and Industry Ratings
Cigna Healthcare has over 19 million medical customers, with 1.2 million of the members outside of the United States. The company's annual revenues exceed $48 billion1. Cigna Healthcare has a reputation for financial stability with high scores from financial rating firms. These ratings include:
- Fitch: "A+" rating for CGLIC
- Standard & Poor's: "A" rating for Connecticut General Life Insurance Company (CGLIC) and Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (CHLIC)
- A.M. Best: "A" rating for CGLIC and CHLIC
- Moody's: "A2" rating for CGLIC and CHLIC
The J.D. Power 2023 U.S. Commercial Member Health Plan Study found that Cigna Healthcare had the highest customer satisfaction among health plan members in the state of New Jersey.
Cigna Healthcare Dental Statistics
Cigna Healthcare's DPPO Advantage Network has more than 80,000 unique dental care providers who operate in over 300,000 different locations. Cigna Healthcare's DPPO Total Network, in comparison, has more than 132,000 unique dental providers serving at approximately 740,000 locations.*
Cigna Healthcare boasts over 17 million dental customers as well as being the fastest growing dental insurance company.
Basic Comparison of Cigna Healthcare's Products on DentalInsurance.com
Below is a basic comparison table for our Cigna Healthcare products. Click on the product names to read more details on each plan's benefits and their conditions.
Dental Vision Hearing 3500
|Network||DPPO Advantage Network|
|Annual deductible individual / family||$50 / $150|
|Deductible waived for Preventive||Yes|
|Dental maximum benefit||$1,500||$2,500|
|Oral exams and cleanings||100% of costs covered by plan|
|Fillings||80% of costs covered by plan|
|Tooth extraction (simple)||80% of costs covered by plan|
|Crown||50% of costs covered by plan|
|*Not all plans available in all areas.|
A Reputation Built on TrustAt DentalInsurance.com, we work hard to provide you the best experience possible.
Tell your friends and familyVery affordable plans and a wide range to choose from to fit your budget...
Belle Chase, LA
Thank you for a pleasant experienceI got signed up for Dental Insurance and your Representative made it very easy...
Benefits to having a Cigna Healthcare Individual Dental plan:
- See reviews on in-network dentists with the Brighter Score® feature
- 24/7 access to manage your dental health online with myCigna®
- Discounts and savings on fitness memberships, wearable devices and meal subscription service
- Waiting periods apply to some benefits, please review plan information.
- Non-participating providers charge their own fees. Covered expenses for non-participating providers are based on the contracted fee for in-network providers, which may be less than billed charges.
1 Subject to change. The content of this statement is subject to change as a result new information provided
2 Cigna Healthcare internal data as of May 2022
Product availability may vary by location and plan type and is subject to change. All group dental insurance policies and health benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. For costs and details of coverage, review your plan documents or contact a Cigna Healthcare representative.
Cigna Healthcare products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of The Cigna Group, including Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company and Cigna Dental Health, Inc. In Texas, the Dental plan is known as Cigna Dental Choice, and this plan uses the national Cigna DPPO Advantage network. In Utah, all products and services are provided by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company (Bloomfield, CT).
More From DentalInsurance.com...
How to Lower Your Overall Dental Costs
The following are some commonsense measures to control your dental spending.
- Review your insurance needs annually based on your oral health
- If a crown or root canal are in your future, make certain your dental plan covers it
- Get a second opinion when very expensive procedures (such as a dental implant) are recommended
- You will pay for the cost of a second dentist’s opinion but in some cases a less expensive treatment that is better aligned with your medical needs might be suggested
- If you have a modest income, you may qualify for charitable dental care. See our page devoted to dental care in your state to see what resources are available
For more information on reducing your annual dental spending, see our article “Six Ways to Lower Your Annual Dental Costs.”