Oregon Dental Insurance Plans & Prices

Compare Plans, Coverage & Pricing

By Insurance Industry Expert & Author

Updated on



This article will provide you with:

Bestselling Dental Plans in Oregon

Company logo for Guardian bestselling

Advantage Achiever

Rich benefits with maximums increase each for year the first 3 years.

Plan Type: PPO

Plan Maximum: $1000 - $1500

Company logo for Ameritas bestselling

Hollywood Smile Premier Plus 2000

100% preventive coverage on day one. $2000 plan maximum. No waiting periods.

Plan Type: PPO

Plan Maximum: $2000

Company logo for Nationwide bestselling

Premier Select 1500

No Waiting Periods for Preventive and Basic services

Plan Type: PPO

Plan Maximum: $1500

Average Premiums and Maximum Benefit

A review of 23 plans from seven popular dental insurance companies in Oregon revealed several trends regarding coverage and costs. Two were HMO dental plans, one a dental discount card, and 20 were PPO dental plans. The insurers including in the review were:

  • Ameritas
  • Careington
  • Dental Health Services
  • Guardian
  • MetLife
  • Nationwide
  • Renaissance

The average premium among the plans reviewed was $40.99 a month for a 30 year-old living in Portland. Three of the plans had no annual limits on insurer spending or cumulative discounts (Dental Health Services SmartSmile DHMO, Dental Health Services Super SmartSmile DHMO, Careington 500 Series Dental Savings). For plans that did have a cap on the amount the insurer paid for dental care per year, the average was $1,663. One plan, Ameritas Hollywood Smile Premier 2500 PPO, had an annual limit of $2,500 while its premium was only $27.13, well below the average of $40.99 a month.

While there was a general trend that higher premium plans had higher annual limits (called the “maximum benefit”), there were many exceptions. The NCD Nationwide 5000 Plan PPO had the highest annual limit of $5,000 and was the most expensive plan in the study, there were several plans in the highest cost group that only had an annual limit of $1,500, which was below the average across all the plans reviewed ($1,663). Some plans had limits that increased when the enrollee entered the second and third year of coverage. Our average was based on the first year of coverage. HMO plans and discount cards, as noted earlier, had no annual limits.

Questions answered and ready to buy?

Observations on Some Out-of-Pocket Costs

Most plans covered fillings using a co-insurance fee to determine the patient’s out-of-pocket cost. A co-insurance fee represents a portion of the total cost of the dental service. For example, if the plan has an 80% coinsurance for a filling then the patient pays the remaining 20% of the cost. Three plans (the two HMOs and the one discount card) charged a flat fee for fillings in the range of $47 to $83. Among the other plans using coinsurance, the average coinsurance was 66% which left the remaining 34% of the filling cost to the patient. Nine of the plans had a coinsurance of 80%, leaving only 20% of the cost to the patient. 

With respect to plan popularity, below are the bestselling plans in Oregon according to DentalInsurance.com sales figures. To see plans offered in your area, visit our home page and compare dental plans.

A Reputation Built on Trust

See why our customers trust us to help them find the right dental plan


4.5 Stars Based on 763 reviews trustpilot

Enrollment so easy

I spent less than 5 minutes on the phone. Thank you Michael for making enrollment so easy...



Good job!

Everything was done professional and answers were on top and answered appropriately...


We can help you find the plan that best suits YOUR needs.


Oral health resources for Oregon Residents

We've pulled together information to help you find resources in your state to help you maintain your oral health.

Oregon Dental Association (ODA)

The Oregon Dental Association is a professional society that promotes both high standards among dentists as well as oral health among the patients they serve. The association is composed of 16 separate dental societies in the state.

Oregon Oral Health Coalition

The Oregon Oral Health Coalition is a nonprofit dedicated to improving Oregon's oral health by sharing their vision with leaders in health care, government, business, philanthropy, nonprofit and the community.

Oregon Free Clinics

This directory of dental clinics contains 214 low-cost/no-cost options serving low-income as well as uninsured Oregonians.

Need help choosing a plan? Call us at 800-296-3800

Our knowledgeable customer service team will assist you with any questions you may have prior to enrolling in a dental plan. They can guide you through the process of choosing coverage that matches your needs as well as your budget.

Dental Insurance